Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Digital wrongs management

I want to start exploring digital rights management (DRM) and trusted platform modules (TPM). There doesn't seem to be much open source stuff out there. As Steven suggested, it's likely that most Free Software people are not interested in creating such stuff.

It's interesting to read the strong points of view that people have on DRM. While I can understand that many people don't like the idea of such mechanisms, and that they may deplore the way that industry seems to be producing hardware that has TPMs, I can't really believe that they think TPMs should be outlawed, or come with owner-overrides. I think the emotion must be clouding their judgement.

I have found the OpenIPMP (Open Intellectual Property Management & Protection), which uses JBoss, MySQL, and Java as the server (almost LAMP), but then the mpeg4 encoding and decoding plugins are written in C++. I haven't digested the plugin architecture yet, to see if it would work with PDF or HTML. I haven't even explored the rights expression language XrML.

On the TPM side, I've found TrouSerS and jTpmTools suites, but I haven't had too much success yet. There doesn't seem to be much opportunity to play around with such things at work, so it's an evening activity at the moment.

With tonight's yummy roast pork, we tried the 2004 Bouteille Reserve Speciale Margaux (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot). Now I can tell from the label that Margaux is in the Southern Médoc part of Bordeaux. What I can't tell is just who made the wine. I found the words Parempuyre (Gironde) in 2pt type at the bottom, but Gironde is a department, and Parempuyre is a commune. If I were to take comfort from this list, I'd have to say that since Château Clément Pichon and Château Ségur (the only two listed in Parempuyre) are in the Crus Bourgeois Supérieurs, this wine should be superior, if not Exceptionnels. At least it's not just plain Bourgeois. I'll just have to hope that Géraldine can set me straight soon. That was our last bottle, so perhaps my next purchase can be more educated.

This wine cost £15.95 at Waitrose supermarket, which makes it about the 2nd most expensive one I've tried. But worth it. Joanna and Berenice seem to have agreed, so it must be good. I think it's the complexity and the oak that I've been missing, although it would be nice to compare a few side-by-side.

No comments: