Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pound sign

I can now type a "£" symbol. It was surprisingly difficult to achieve.

I had to add the US English (International) keyboard, in addition to the Australian English (US) keyboard. I can switch between keyboard layouts with shift-leftAlt. One would thing that having an international keyboard would be the best option, but because there are so many accents and weird characters, it's a bit odd. For example, when I'm in international mode, and I press the ", nothing shows up until I type the next character. It waits to see if I type a special sequence that might mean, for example, ö or ü. So I'll spend most of my time in good-old Australian mode, until I find myself needing to use these special characters.

Thanks to Penn State University for providing the advice.

And why do people call # a "pound sign"? And why is the £ that shape? Is it anything to do with the abbreviation for pound (weight) being "lb"? More on these questions some other time.

No comments: