Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lincoln

I remember my boss once explaining that when one is as well-travelled and world-weary as he was, convenience (during travel in this case, ie. sitting towards the front of the plane and not checking luggage underneath) was worth any price. I rejoiced in some convenience of my own in the Lincoln White Hart hotel. Back from locating an elusive dessert, it was so civilised to pull out the laptop and start Internetting without having to drive off to an Internet-Cafe or to queue up for a computer at the library. Being a northern locality, I had the delights not of the relatively common 3G connection, but of HSDPA. (If I had connectivity as I write, you can be sure there'd be links to each to help you (and me) understand the technical implications. Maybe they'll appear later.)
Lateness prevented getting a decent fix, I have to admit. And Thursday morning I crammed in some photo-compression and posting before breakfast. But once we were on our way, touring the castle, cathedral, and Medieval Bishop's Palace, there wasn't any opportunity to update things. But a day or so late isn't really a problem, is it?
The castle was interesting. We walked along the top of the walls, and climbed up some of the towers, including the Observatory tower that you could see in the night-time photo. This photo is taken from that tower, looking back to the Cathedral. You can even see our hotel room windows (a group of 4 in the floor under the 4-window grey attic). We looked at the Magna Carta exhibition, and tried to present the key points to the girls. I'm not sure that I really understood what happened after the document was adopted (in 1215). Seems that once King John departed the scene, the next King (Henry the somethingth) was either good or bad, the barons were either loyal or disloyal, a seige either continued or ended, and that was the last time that Lincoln Castle was involved in military activity. Perhaps the highlight of the tour, from the girls point of view, was the cookie and muffin from the cafe.
After that, we visited Lincoln Cathedral. We weren't in time to participate in a service, and it was clear that we weren't all going to be well-enough behaved to tour properly, so we managed with a brief view from the West End of the Nave, having checked out the plethora of Gargoyles on the outside. There was a big screen separating the Nave from the Choir and Sanctuary, with the organ on top of the screen.
But that's the only glimpse we have of the inside, because we tramped off to the Medieval Bishop's Palace, which was much more amenable to baby-change and uncontrolled childrens' antics. I think the girls grasped a little of the history as described by the signs and their parents, as they caught their breaths every now and then.
On our way back to the hotel, we walked around the Cathedral, and saw the interesting chapter house with its flying butresses. We also saw some official Roman Ruins - some foundations of a wall. It was hard to pass on any enthusiasm about those.
The trip home was uneventful, but a little slow given the indirect route and the traffic. We had the option of cooking a dinner, but too easily fell victim to the girls' now familiar refrain: "Can we go to the pub tonight?". We were the first customers there, and as another couple and another fellow came in, we had a sociable time. I tasted some Guiness, which was nicer than the Ludlow Gold from last time. Trevor hoped that I'd try some more authentic beers - being part of CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale - they have a number of genuine hand drawn beers available, although they do make a concession for those who want some of the "standard" (should I say "common"?) beers too.
But before anyone gets any ideas that my drinking habits have changed, I should explain that I had (at home) finished what remained of the Calvet Reserve (Bordeaux) 2005 (Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon), which has been the best French wine of all, so far. It was so well balanced, chewy, and flavoursome (for a French wine, anyway), that while shopping this morning, I decided that I should try another, the 2003. It was cheaper (6.99 rather than 8.99), and perhaps more full-bodied, but not as balanced, and the oak flavours weren't as good. That reminds me that I haven't documented the previous one: a Saint-Emilion (Bordeaux) Union de Producteurs 2005 (Merlot & Cabernet Franc). It was ok, but with not as much flavour as the 2005 Calvet.
Back home, on more domestic and administrative issues, we've decided that trying to arrange to move into Moorlands Rd on 3 November was too trying. We were given the option of staying in Wayfarers for an extra week, but at our own expense. That didn't seem to make financial sense, so we managed to locate another, Cloud's End ("on the Malvern Hills with Spectacular Views") where we'll stay for a week on the other side of the Hills until the house is ready for us. We will then have enough certainty to arrange our freight and hired-furniture to be delivered on 9th November. It will be interesting to compare waking up at the same altitude but on the Eastern side, at least for a week. Then we'll descend to the depths of Moorlands Rd.

I've been chatting with people from my new work. I was invited to attend a meeting at Shrivenham (perhaps a cross between the ADFWC and Australian Defence College) on Wednesday 31st, and then a 3-day meeting at Farnborough on 5-7 Nov. It then turned out that administrative inertia (lack of paperwork being in place in time) would preclude the Shrivenham visit. Although I had enough clothes to cater for the odd business engagement prior to our freight being delivered, it now seems that this would not be adequate. While the others went for a walk on the Hill, I went for a walk on the Moor. I mean Mall. It seems that clothes may be just about the only sector where things are cheaper here than at home. Or maybe it was just the shop I was in. Once I got to the checkout, loaded with jackets and jumpers for the girls, and shirts, ties, and singlets for me, they explained that because this was a discount shop, I could only buy if I were a member, and I needed to join and get a membership card. I also bought shoes, boots, and (given the relativistic effects of retail inertia), car mats, a bluetooth hands free phone thingy, and some more groceries - even steak. I also managed to collect chequebooks from the bank, and to order a new battery for my phone.
Tomorrow's plan is to visit "Boscobel House and the Royal Oak" (Staffordshire) and "Iron Bridge" (Shropshire), in an effort to make use of our shiny new English Heritage membership.
But now the complete cycle of Brandenburg concerti nears completion, so that's the end of the computing for tonight. Just think, on the Eastern side, I'll be on the net at home, and these ramblings will be posted as they're composed! Maybe they'll be shorter.


No comments: