Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Moonglow

So there I was, caught in some bizarre peak hour traffic phenomenon, hoping that I'd have time to buy some paint and Express Post my visa payment by 6pm. (Mental picture: the elevator scene from the end of Blues Brothers.) I got to the hardware store, and there was only one paint-person. She was not in a hurry - no doubt trying to create quality tints for the customer in front of me. Should I go and get the base for my paint? I started to leave the counter, but another customer was hovering, and I didn't want to lose my place. I decided that the paint-person would be able to find anything I needed very quickly, so I waited. "Moonglow, you say. And you want that in low sheen?" "Yes please." That's all it took. Just one small lapse in concentration. I knew I didn't want gloss. Low sheen sounds like matte. But, it isn't. Not really. The colour matches surprisingly well, but we really do have matte walls.

But the decision has now been made: we're to have low sheen hall walls. Or at least, most of each wall will be low sheen, apart from the bits close to the cornices and the skirting boards. Or at least, the first coat will be low sheen. Hmmm.

Someone's coming to look at the place on Friday morning, and there's some enthusiasm to have the hallway glistening with perfection. And there's no time, especially like the present. One of us is flying to Canberra at zero-dark-hundred hours in the morning (and leaving Canberra again at dark o'clock), so there's not much opportunity for me to have a late night. Berenice is playing bowls tomorrow, and we all know what happens if you try to play bowls the morning after the night before.

On the positive side, it's worth saying that there are only 6 days of (Enoggera) work before we go, and the critical where-and-when decisions have been made for the sendoff: the Gap Tavern on Thursday 27th.

It will be amusing to find out what the latest in the visa saga is. It's hard to describe the story so far without descending into unflattering personal remarks, so let's just force a smile and wait for the next exciting episode.

No comments: