Friday, September 28, 2007

Fridays

Everyone likes Fridays. This one was particularly good for me - a nice (& cheap) lunch with friends at Rosalie was just the beginning (or was it the middle?). A last-day-in-the-office demo of our latest software to the customer went well - perhaps too well - and my office is more-or-less cleaned out.

I succumbed to my materialistic affluenza and decided that I really couldn't live without the new computer. That will mean an old one that can be used for any dodgy stuff including kids games, and a relatively clean one that is suitable for doing serious work on. So I managed to collect it today as well. It will make an impact, not only in the cheque account - yes, I actually wrote a cheque! - but in the sleep account, I suppose. I've already had a play, and just need to work out how to display the television. Windows Media Center says I need an internet connection first, but it will take a while to configure the WAP.

I'm currently in the middle of reading The Railway Children to The Female Children of the household. The chapters are longer than most that we've been reading, and some of the language requires extra explanation and discussion. My new-laptop-infatuation/exploration meant a little delay tonight, but we managed to finish by 9:40. (Nominal bedtime is still 8:30.)

But the most important news of the day relates to travel plans. The courier DID deliver the long-awaited passports this afternoon. And aren't those UK Visas nice and shiny. Not only that, but I also managed to speak with our assistant in London. We are now confident we don't need to pack sheets and towels in the luggage (although they will be freighted to UK), and the transport (including baby seat) is organised, and the London accommodation is too, and the bank account application is going in this afternoon. Just re-establishing contact has lowered the stress-o-meter a couple of notches for both of us at this end.

If you were looking for news of the trades, you'll be pleased with this paragraph. The gas man came to fix the stove, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Typical. The removalists' pre-pack inspections have both been and gone. The DVD people have taken the machine away - for one or two weeks! Locksmith is due tomorrow morning. Telephone, gas, and internet access are all organised to be cancelled. Car and health insurance processing is underway, and I'm not sure if we had any advice about electricity readings from the agent. The new toilet is all in place. Clothes are the next big thing on the agenda...

Yesterday, I had my work farewell lunch, at the Gap Tavern. The food was good, and the view was very pleasant too. We had a 2005 Penfolds Private Release Cabernet Shiraz. The less said about that the better, although some seemed to like it. Things improved when we graduated to the Yarra Ridge "Eye Spy" 2004 Cabernet Merlot. The label would have us anticipate the ripe cherry and luscious plum with a soft generous finish. There was certainly fruit, but I think "generous" might apply to the label writer.

Near the end of this entry, I'll mention that Kylie and Jim have made it to the USA, having successfully navigated monastries, gorgeous earthquake-lakes, an orthodox wedding, and Italian post offices.

Finally, I'm pleased to say that today I learned that Dan and Carla have announced their engagement, with tentative plans for a December 2008 wedding. At first I was surprised that they'd chosen to come over to England just as we were leaving, but then I realised that they were considering taking the plunge while we were to be busily toiling in distant lands in the service of the nation. I'm sure patriotic senses will return, so that we can join the celebrations.

No comments: