Friday, July 18, 2008

Extra Large

It seems that I now have an excuse for three course dinners at nice French restaurants (like Cafe Rouge in Worcester, where Joanna, Steph, Helen and I went tonight), having chocolate cake at lunchtime, impossible pie for dinner (last night) and various other delicacies - even if I don't get to the gym as often as I plan, although I did go yesterday. For today I'm officially XL.

There were some cute presents this morning - many from the recent journey to the Lake District, and a baseball bat & ball (well, rounders to be more accurate). And at lunch time, I was summoned home to assemble two new bicycles for the girls - which they're glad to have after the disappointing disappearance of the previous ones.

I'm enjoying a number of aspects at work at the moment - both the supervision of university student projects and our own project. There's a bit of a bureaucracy challenge to overcome at the moment, but that can't be too hard. And I'm enjoying the conversations with Permis people at University of Kent - I feel sure we'll see some great progress there.

That reminds me: I was going to blog my visit to Canterbury on Sunday and Monday. After Steph and I spent some of Sunday morning constructing the first parts of the egg slinger (for a school science challenge), I drove to Canterbury. I didn't get there in time for a 3:15pm choral evensong at the Cathedral, but I did manage to catch compline, in (but without!) the choir, for the first time ever. I can't really describe it as a sermon, but the Dean managed to interweave through the whole service a story about John Keble, who is remembered on Bastille day - particularly for his sermon that started the Oxford Movement. I also attended a Eucharist on Monday morning, this time in the crypt. I came home on Monday afternoon, but as I write on Thursday, the place is crowded with over 800 bishops at the fourteenth once-a-decade Lambeth Conference.

No comments: