Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Wynns 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon

I can only assume that a year away from Australia (with a particularly enjoyable focus on Bordeaux left bank!) has opened my palate to the delights of Cabernet Sauvignon. Previously, when tasting the more affordable Wynns wines, I wouldn't have hesitated to reach for the Shiraz, rather than the Cabernet or the more commonly found Cabernet Shiraz Merlot (with that famous red diagonal). Perhaps it's just the vintage, but on the Wynnsday release a couple of months ago of the 2007 range at my local, the Shiraz was about $15, and the Cabernet was $34. While there are occasional bargains, and people do have different tastes, there's usually some truth in "you get what you pay for". (Paul Keating said once that it was better to be an economic rationalist than an economic irrationalist!) I was tempted by a discount, and coming from Coonawarra one can expect greatness from the Cabernet Sauvignon.

I admit I wasn't ready for it. This wine was terrific, and I will be heading back to look for more. From the first sniff of the freshly opened bottle I was confident that I'd chosen well. No need for any breathing - the powerful fruity aroma with chocolatey oak depth was instantly attractive. The mouth feel was very smooth. Not too full bodied, just gentle and delicious, very fruit-driven. The pretentious writer might argue that a better wine (or perhaps one with more bottle age) would last longer on the back palate, and would have a fuller, more complex mouth feel. But I was too busy just enjoying the taste to think such things. It was certainly a good advertisement for Australian wine for our English guest - about to head off to New Zealand before going home.

Unfortunately, as I sit and try to remember enough to do justice to the wine, all I have to jog my memory is the still-mouthwatering scent from the empty bottle. Last night's storm made us contemplate the scented candle raffle prize that might be necessary in the event of a blackout. I have a slight reputation for finding such scents too strong. Now if we could only scent a candle with what's left in the wine bottle! What occasion can I save the next bottles for?

No comments: