Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Bourne Identity

I've been driving between Malvern and Salisbury a few times recently - a 100 mile journey. I've noticed a series of sets of small villages on the way:
  • Duntisbourne Abbots, Duntisbourne Leer, and Duntisbourne Rouse
  • Ogbourne St Andrew, Ogbourne St George, and Ogbourne Maizey
  • Collingbourne Kingston and Collingbourne Ducis
  • Winterbourne Dauntsey, Winterbourne Gunner, and Winterbourne Earls
I think it's interesting that such a high proportion of villages along my route have this pattern in their name. My highly authoritative wikipedia research reveals that the suffix "-bourne" typically indicates a stream. So the Ogbournes are on the River Og, and a Winterbourne is a river that dries up in the summer. Apparently a Mr Dunt had a stream, and Cola's people (?) had a stream too. The tautologous River Bourne flows through the Collingbournes and Winterbournes.

I suppose that these are a variation of the famous "Stratford upon Avon" and "Upton upon Severn" style (although perhaps "Upton under Severn" is more frequently appropriate). That reminds me of a masters thesis I saw when browsing for a few minutes in the Birmingham University Computer Science Department library: a survey of English towns whose names end in -ford. I think it may have been mis-filed.

Other interesting place name points:
  • The Defence research organisation near Salisbury is accessed via Winterslow Road. This statement is true whether you are referring to Salisbury, Wiltshire UK, or Salisbury, South Australia.
  • I also drive past Newton Tony and Stratford Tony. I can't offer any insight into these names at the moment.
  • Some of the place names are quite evocative: Shady Bower, Old Malthouse Lane.

No comments: