Sunday, August 3, 2008

Musical Teeth

We seem to be keeping the tooth fairy in business at the moment. Helen's just reported a lost tombstone, and Stephanie lost two last week. I don't know what sort of track we would look for to tell if the fairy is making one, but I feel sure it must be there.

Now the real point of this blog was going to be: I've just attended the opening of the 281st Three Choirs festival. I've heard about these festivals over the last twenty years, and sung plenty of music written for or premiered at them. But now I'm actually at one. I've got tickets to 14 events, and if the opening service was anything to go by, I'll be blissed out by the end. Fortunately, there were congregational hymns, a psalm (Vaughan Williams Old 100th), and even national anthem (arranged specially for choir, organ & brass by the MD). The other Anthem (RVW, Lord thou hast been our refuge) reminded me just how good his music is. And these festivals were the crucibles from which so much of it emerged. Elgar's Apostles tonight.

We've also just been swimming at the local Malvern Splash again, which everyone (especially Christopher) enjoyed.

Still lots of Steph's birthday presents to play with, too. She had a good time - especially the slumber party a week before.

I've interesting discussions with the MSc students whose projects I'm supervising - at Malverm, Birmingham, and most recently Newcastle. Now that we're approaching the last month, things are getting very interesting, and the guys are really enjoying the work.

Last weekend, we went to Eastnor Castle for the Teddy Bear's Picnic, and also to the RAF Cosford museum, which we all found very stimulating - much more than Whitewick Hall, I think. Pictures may emerge here later.

Joanna's wishing that there was a way she could get to the Edgbaston test, which is happening only 30 miles away in Birmingham (between England and South Africa), but it doesn't appear to fit into the schedule. Berenice will arrive home from Iceland on Monday, just after the match finishes.

No comments: