Friday, June 20, 2008

Raspberries

Some might say that Richard Branson is good at making raspberries - at conventions, or politicians, or competitors, or even dress sense. But as regular readers will know, I signed up to Virgin Wines a little while ago. I think cases come every two months or so, although I declined a recent offering, so I've just taken delivery of my second batch. It gives me a chance to waffle about some that I've tried recently.

There have been lots that I haven't recorded, so although I may have been lazy in my writing-up, I haven't been quite so lazy in the actual tasting.

The first that stands out in recent memory is the 2005 Peter Lehmann "The 1885 Shiraz". It had, compared to all the recent French vins, a most intense plummy flavour, with some liquorice, and a very long, lingering finish. Despite this length, the wine seemed to disappear remarkably quickly.

The next one that deserves purchasing again was a Casillero del Diablo Reserva Privada. I can't remember the year. It didn't have the intensity and length of the Peter Lehmann, nor so much of the fruit, but the liquorice was even more dominant. Casillero del Diablo seems to be the Jacob's Creek of Chilean wine - available everywhere. The regular ones are generally acceptable, but the reserve ones in each case seem to be worth paying for.

Today, we tried the 2007 Meillade from Chateauneuf du Pape. Mr Branson vicariously alleges (through his VW staff) that this is a sexy Australian-style full-and-fruity red. Must be one of those sensitive new age types of sexy, or perhaps waifish, rather than full-bodied & voluptuous. There's barely any depth, and the only fruit is raspberry. I would have been hard pressed to call it a Shiraz (or Syrah) - it tastes more like a light & berry-ful Pinot Noir. But, having said all that, it's not objectionable. Just like red cordial isn't objectionable, maybe...


1 comment:

janine said...

Agree totally...this wine is as from Australian as you can get. I am dinking a bottle now and cannot put down, languedoc and some beaujolais???? tried to order some more but cant. Great wine cra...poor description.