Friday, March 7, 2008

Virgin Wines

Somehow I ended up as a prospective customer on the Virgin Wines list. It may have been something to do with a discount voucher that I got from an online book purchase through Amazon or Book Depository (which I recommend). Not that I'm complaining. I'm happy to subscribe to lists, as long as I can unsubscribe when it's no longer interesting.

So I received an email from RowanG, the founder of Virgin Wines, that started:
I am not a sensitive person by nature, but I have to say that I am feeling a little hurt. You came to visit our site, but as yet, you have not bought anything.

So, I’d like to make you an offer you can’t refuse.

For this week only, I'm offering you your first, trial, Discovery Club case HALF PRICE at just £39.99 (that's a ridiculously low £3.33 a bottle!). Plus, two FREE gifts, worth £35. That's an overall saving of £75.
and ended
Still not sure?

What is the worst thing that can happen? If you don't like the wines, I promise to refund you instantly, without any fuss whatsoever. If you agree that these wines are a big step better than you can get in the supermarket, you can look forward to a lifetime of feeling superior to non-members.
So, I signed up. A few days later, I had a case with 3 each of:
- 2006 "McPherson's Paddock" McLaren Vale Merlot;
- 2006 Du Clos "Les Garriques" from Coteaux de Languedoc;
- 2006 Tokerau Cabernet Sauvignon from Rapel Valley, Chile.
- 2001 Castillo de Anna "Gran Riserva" from Valencia; and

I've tried one of each of them now (in the order listed). I didn't take careful notes of the first two, but since there are two more bottles of each, there'll be a chance for me to add the details into this post later.

Last night, I opened the Tokerau. I'm not sure if it was just the bottle I chose, or the whole batch (I didn't open the other two), but I'm going to send it back. There was no body, and almost zero fruit. The only real scent was a hint of acetone.

I couldn't leave that taste in my mouth, so I opened the Castillo de Anna. What a contrast - body, fruit, berries... that bottle didn't last long at all. I'm not quite sure what the returns arrangement is going to be, but if they want to replace the Tokerau with three more of this one, I'll be satisfied.

Stay tuned for further updates.

No comments: