Monday, February 11, 2008

That sinking feeling

Yes, that black veil of dread descended upon my computer desk again. The laptop started playing up, and wouldn't connect to the network. The symptoms weren't as severe as last time (i.e. it would boot and run most local software), but it's not much use without the network. Several services weren't starting, including DHCP, Diagnostic Policy Service, and about 10 others, due to an Access Denied error. Google (on the other computer) found a few other people with similar experiences, but not many answers. Microsoft had one report and recommendation, but it didn't help at all. I used the System Restore feature to wind back to a few days ago. This suggests that the problem may have been related to installing my Vista Samsung 4216F printer driver which I got from nodevice.com. Hmmm. I won't reinstall that one for a while!

But, wonder of wonders, after the System Restore, everything is just fine again. Phew.

For the last couple of months, I've been quite cautious when copying photos from the camera: they go onto a directory on my new laptop, and then I copy them (via network) straight onto the other laptop. Only then do I remove them from the camera memory card. I think anything else that's particularly valuable is on the network already in emails etc, or on a backup cd/dvd. (It doesn't help that the old laptop's optical drive is defunct though!)

I have been reading recently about Amazon's web services. The storage and computing services look like great fun to play with, and potentially useful for a backup regime.

No comments: